Wednesday, September 15, 2010

The secret to beating office anxiety: Yoga!

I must admit, I used to be a yoga skeptic. I mean, c'mon, how is stretching considered a workout? And how does contorting yourself and closing your eyes relieve stress?



I couldn't have been more wrong....

I started doing yoga shortly after I started working at Ruby. It's one of the many perks employees get there, and now I understand why. Yoga not only loosens your muscles and forces you to stretch after 8 hours of being confined to your cubicle, it also helps you release any negativity that the day might have caused. In fact, it is so effective, I find myself craving a downward facing dog or a child's pose throughout my day. By focusing on your body and breathing, the stress and anxiety seems to just melt away (in the form of sweat....kidding, kind of.) I never thought I'd be saying this, but I think yoga should be a requirement for anyone working a sedentary job.

I've recently had a few yoga breakthroughs, and let me tell you, it's the best feeling in the world! I never regret my decision to roll out my mat and strike a pose.

So, this is my confession. I'm officially addicted to yoga.

Who would've thought that I'd become a yoga-doing, legging-wearing, tea-drinking kind of girl? I think Portland is starting to rub off on me...but don't worry, I'm not going to go out and buy a Timbuktu bag or Tevas anytime soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment