Monday, September 27, 2010

To upgrade or not to upgrade?

What started as a simple choice as to whether or not I should upgrade my phone turned into a debate between having a smartphone or "plain" phone. I started thinking about combinations in my head. Is an iPhone + an iPad overkill? Would just an iPhone be better than the plain phone + iPad combo? Do I really need an iPad if I have a lap top? This left me dreaming about having an owl to take care of all my correspondence needs. A pet and communication tool all in one! Hmm...maybe this isn't such a good plan given my recent track record with plants, namely one not-so-living succulent.

 These days, it seems as though we are plagued with too many options. Trying to keep up with all of the latest trends can be overwhelming. Which information should I put where? What is tweet appropriate versus Facebook worthy? I find myself stressing over the most trivial of choices. Granted, technology does have its advantages. I love that I can keep in touch with friends that are halfway across the world. Blogs are an easy way to communicate information to a large audience with very little effort. It even amazes me that I can answer phones for a company on the other side of the country. None of this would be possible without the advancement of technology.

Despite all of this, I can't help but wonder if less is more? Do I really need to carry a GPS/camera/phone/minicomputer with me at all times? Probably not. Do I want to? Maybe. I complain about having an iPhone on a daily basis. Yet, I can't imagine my life without it. After all of this rambling, I'm still left with no decision. I'm eligible for a phone upgrade. What should it be?

iPhone 4 ?

iPhone3GS?
 plain phone?

no phone?



Send me your comments and opinions! I obviously cannot handle this decision on my own. I need your feedback!

Happy Monday!

1 comment:

  1. so here's our situation & our plan for the next few months (when apple decides to launch the ipad with a camera so i can skype!)

    we have a macbook. we have an imac. our imac is also our tv (netflix, hulu, etc). i work from home, but it's such a treat when i can go to a coffee shop & work on shop stuff with a nice latte that i didn't have to make. however, when i do this i have to take a huge bag and let's be honest, laptops are heavy. we bike commute a lot, and biking with a ginormous laptop in my shoulder bag is ridiculous sometimes.

    i also have a pretty plain phone. it's a touch screen but definitely nothing special. i hate talking on the phone and only use it for texting. internet plans are too expensive.

    i really want an ipad. like...i've been obsessing since the "sneak peak." so when they come out with one w/ a camera, i will buy one to use that for checking in with emails, tweeting, my shop stuff, etc & then my laptop when i am at home and the imac is occupied by a movie or my husband haha

    bottom line: one time purchases (ipad) we can handle because we can save for them but one time purchases that you have to keep paying for month to month (iphone) dos not work for us.

    longest comment ever? yes. but there's my rationale and decision making reasoning! haha

    ReplyDelete