Tuesday, February 7, 2012

meet my intern!

Remember when I said I was oozing with information to share? One of the most exciting changes happening in 2012 is the addition of an intern to Fresh Tangerine! Meet Stephany!



Tell us a bit about yourself.
Let's see, where do we start... I am Stephany Jones and I'm at the fresh age of 21. The Art Institute of Portland has been my stomping grounds for the last 2 and a half years, but I will soon be leaving, in about 16 weeks to be exact. I will be graduating with my Bachelors of Fine Arts degree in Graphic Design. Besides school my interests lie in softball, painting and normal 21 year old activities, with staying out of trouble.

How would you describe your creative process?
My creative process starts with scouring the internet for images to help spark inspiration for a project or find images that have the same style as I have in mind. My go-to places is Tumblr and Pinterest, they have such a large variety of images from actually artwork to trendy outfits, it's the perfect place to get some good ideas. Sometimes I will spend hours on hours on hours looking through thousands of images and usually I even find some that I put in my memory bank for my next project. After this, I sketch and sketch, building my concept, this stage is the most crucial to me. This is because most of my art work is very concept based with simple imagery, therefore my concept has to be extremely solid for my simple style to work and work well.

Who is your favorite designer?
I can't say that I have one specific favorite designer. I'm more of a shop until I see something that I fancy. Anything with a pop of color catches my eye, I could say one of my favorite designers is Versace, especially when they paired with H&M. The colors were magnificent and I wanted to buy the whole collection.

What are you listening to right now?
My Pandora is set to Edward Sharpe and The Magnetic Zeros. For about the last 5 to 6 years they have been playing on my computer or iPod. I just can't seem to get enough of their indie/folk sound, it's so relaxing, which is what I need with such a stressful and busy life.

Where do you see yourself in 5 years?
5 years from now, that's a tough one. I hope to be doing what I love and working at a magazine company. Layout and typography are my two main loves in the art field and a local Portland indie or fashion magazine would be the perfect place to put my skills to good use.

Look out for her weekly column local love, featuring local Portland businesses. She'll also be making an appearance in some Fresh Tangerine outfit posts!

xx K

No comments:

Post a Comment